A good beginner skateboard is important if you want a good and safe first experience. But it can be hard to understand how to choose the right skateboard as a beginner. Here is an article that gives you an easy overview of all the parts, and shows you how to choose the perfect skateboard for beginners.
Choose good quality – not low price
Often you can buy complete skateboards in your local toy store, or on the internet. We do not recommend buying one of these cheap preassembled skateboards, as the quality is to low.
First and foremost a low-quality skateboard can be very dangerous. If your skateboard breaks mid-air, or during high speed, it could be dangerous both for you and others. Never gamble with your safety, so always choose good quality.
A high-quality skateboard also gives you a much better experience. It is much more fun to learn skateboarding if the skateboard is not heavy and slow. Skateboards in low quality have ruined the experience way too many times.
What to choose
It is an advantage to know a little bit about which parts make up a skateboard. It can get confusing if you are a complete beginner, but knowing the basic components gets you a long way.
A skateboard consists of the following components:
- Skateboard deck: A small skateboard flicks faster, while a bigger board is better for vert, pools, and transitions. Often kids skates 7,5, while bigger skaters ride 7.75-8,25”
- Griptape: Griptape is the sandpaper on top of the skateboard. This will help you get a good grip on the board.
- Trucks: Skateboard trucks connect the skateboard deck with the wheels. They also decide how easy you can turn – the looser trucks, the easier you turn.
- wheels: Often wheels are between 50 – 55 mm., as this provides good speed and grip. Another element the hardness of the wheel. The hardness of the wheel is measured in durometer- a good all-around hardness is 100A.
- Bearings: Bearings are the small metal rings that are installed between the wheel and the truck. These things decide how fast you can go on your skateboard. The fastness is measured in ABEC- we recommend ABEC 5 as a good all-round solution for the beginner.
Buying a good skateboard for beginners can be hard, but we hope this guide can help you chose the perfect skateboard. Skateboarding is one of the best things in this world, but it can be ruined if you get a bad start. We hope you get a good and safe start, so you can enjoy skateboarding for many years to come.